Għajn Mixkuka Tower was constructed under the reign of Grand Master Juan de Lascaris-Castellar between 1637 and 1640. It is one of the seven coastal towers which is located on the edge of the peninsula between Golden Bay and Ghajn Tuffieha Malta Bay.
Images sources: © www.maltainfoguide.com
    View all 60 places in MALTA
  1. #MT55
  2. Mellieha, Malta
  3. +35622001700
  4. 35.9308880, 14.3434814 Copy to clipboard Copy
    #Towers

This was past of the defense strategy established by the Knights of Malta which also included coastal batteries in various areas which were vulnerable.

You can get to it by walking past the Ghajn Tuffieha car park. Many people walk to the tower to take panoramic photos of both beaches between the tower.

The Knights of Malta had a defence strategy with other several coastal towers and coastal batteries.

The tower was in poor condition until it was restored in 2000 with the support of the Director of Public Projects and Din l-Art Ħelwa. In 2012, vandals sprayed graffiti on two sides of the tower. This has been removed.

The tower continued to be renovated by the Gaia Foundation, and it opened to the public in 2013 as part of a peace grove containing over 20 species of indigenous plants.

The tower is threatened by coastal erosion, and cracks can be seen on the cliffs upon which the tower is built. The terrain may be dangerous for risky walkers, when next to the cliffs, with some people having lost their life due to falls. Some incidents are investigated as it may potentially be used for voluntarily suicides.

Last Updated: 18 April, 2021
Information sources: © en.wikipedia.org