German Pharmacy Museum, Show all 1 places in Heidelberg » Heidelberg1
- Schloss Heidelberg, Schlosshof, 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
- Working hours*:
Monday - Sunday: 10:00 - 18:00 (from April 1 to October 31),
Monday - Sunday: 10:00 - 17:30 (from November 1 to March 31).
8 EUR, for children from 6 to 15 years old,
students up to 28 years old,
visitors over 50 years old: 4 EUR
- * - opening and closing times as well as entrance prices, are subject to alterations without notice. Visitors are advised to check before visiting.
- In the museum, it is allowed to take pictures without a flash.
- 49.4107367, 8.7151174 Copy to clipboard Copy
The German Pharmacy Museum is open within the walls of the famous Heidelberg Castle, more precisely in its surviving part - the Ottgenrichsbau Palace. An incredible attendance for a thematic museum (more than 620 thousand people come here every year) put it on a par with the most popular German museums. The long history of the museum began in 1937, when it was decided to combine several unique private collections into one, opening a public museum. Munich became the first home for the German Pharmacy Museum, then the exposition began to partially move to Frankfurt am Main. The war made its adjustments to the quiet course of the museum process: in the fall of 1943, part of the collection was destroyed as a result of incendiary bombs hit. Restoration from the storerooms began only after the end of the war, the museum found refuge in Bamberg, but at the same time, the organizers chose a more spacious place for the exhibits. Among the main contenders was Heidelberg Castle, where the exhibits moved in 1957.
Since then, the museum has been actively expanding and supplementing the last large-scale reconstruction and renovation of the exposition took place in 1999. Medieval and more modern pharmacy premises, a real alchemical laboratory have been recreated for visitors. Also, tourists can get acquainted with ancient and surprising methods of treatment.
More about the collection
On the site of the museum, located in the basement of the Ottgenrichsbau Palace, a real pharmacy once worked. Now the evolution of pharmacy in German-speaking countries from ancient times to modern times is presented in detail, the period of the 13-20 centuries is revealed in most detail.
The premises of ancient pharmacies of various centuries, the department for the preparation of medicines and even an alchemical laboratory have been reconstructed.
The museum exposition consists of several thematic collections. The exhibition space is filled with all kinds of glass and metal cans, tiny vessels and flasks, wooden and earthenware containers. The most valuable are glass jars of the 17th and 18th centuries. from the southern regions of Germany, porcelain vessels of the 18th century, Italian, Spanish, French, Dutch and German faience and majolica of the 16th and 18th centuries, vessels made of sheet metal from the 19th century. The collection contains old recipes for the preparation of medicines, sets of pharmaceutical components, chemical equipment, pharmaceutical scales and other tools for the manufacture of medicines.
How to get there
From the central bus station by bus # 33 to the cable car stop, then ascend by the funicular.