Marktplatz, Show all 9 places in Dusseldorf » Dusseldorf9
#Family time , #Parks
There are such monuments of architecture and history as the building of the city administration (town hall), the building at Marktplatz, 6, a residential building at Marktplatz, 12 in the Baroque style, as well as a sculpture of Johann Wilhelm riding a horse, Elector of the Palatinate, made by G. De Grupelo ... All these monuments are under round-the-clock surveillance as cultural and architectural monuments.
Marktplatz itself is a trapezoid with sides of 55 m (from the west to the east), 52 and 58 m (from the north to the south). The neighbouring market square on the north side is Burgplatz, on the east - Bolkerstrasse, on the south - Marktstrasse and Zolstrasse. From the east of the square, there are several structures, the lower floors of which are occupied by cafeterias and shops. The North and West Marktplatz is filled with city halls.
The approximate date of the appearance of the square considered to be 1382. The initial mention falls on 1392. A little later, in 1500, a new town hall was erected here since then its location has not changed. In 1570–72, with the light hand of the architect A. Pasqualini and the master G. Tuschmann, the city administration was rebuilt in the style of the Renaissance and late Gothic.
The sculpture of the Elector of the Palatinate Johann Wilhelm was built in 1711. For this purpose, in 1700, Johann Wilhelm allowed G. De Gruppelo to move to live on Marktplatz 4. And in 1708 this house became the property of the sculptor as a gift from the elector. A foundry was also built here for the manufacture of the monument. The house belonged to the Grupelo dynasty for about a century, after which it was used as a management building. In the period 1747-1875. in the building of the casting of sculptures was the Old Theater of Dusseldorf. During the Second World War, the building was destroyed, then it was restored and turned into a council hall in Düsseldorf.
In 1739, the Kommödienhaus theatre was built instead of the obsolete building. This decision was made by the Berg Chancellor. In the 1830s K. Immermann made attempts to reform the German theatre. However, later, in 1875, due to high taxes, the theatre ceased to function, and in 1881 it was decided to demolish it.
From the beginning of its creation until 1900, Marktplatz was the main market area of Düsseldorf. Then this title was transferred to Karlsplatz. Despite this, Christmas markets and wine festivals are organized every year on the square on the banks of the Rhine.
Another highlight at Marktplatz is the Carnival in honour of St. Martin, which is celebrated on 11.11 at 11:11. The event is inaugurated by the Mayor of Düsseldorf. This is followed by small performances, played according to the legends of the saint. In addition to St. Martin's Day, the carnival in the square is also held in honour of Pink Monday.
An equally interesting tradition is the installation of the main Christmas tree, which has been brought from the Norwegian Lillehammer since 1979 and erected in the last days of November at Marktplatz.
How to get to Marktplatz
Subway Heinrich-Heine-Allee - U70, U71, U72, U73, U74, U75, U76, U77, U78, U79, U83
Heinrich-Heine-Allee bus - 780, 785, 782, SB50