Climb the bell tower of the Clérigos Church, Show all 4 places in Porto » Porto4
- Rua São Filipe de Nery 4050-546 Porto, Portugal
- Working hours*:
9: 00-19: 00 (tower + museum). The tower is open until 23: 00
The cost of visiting: 6€ in the afternoon (until 7 pm) and 5€ in the evening (from 7 to 9 pm)
Children under 10 years old – free of charge, students get a 50% discount. The day ticket includes a visit to the museum
- * - opening and closing times as well as entrance prices, are subject to alterations without notice. Visitors are advised to check before visiting.
- 41.1458222, -8.6142260 Copy to clipboard Copy
#Churches , #Towers
The Tower of Clérigos (Torre dos Clérigos) is considered one of the main attractions and a business card in Porto. This majestic six-storey tower with a height of 75 m is the bell tower of the eponymous church of Clérigos (Igreja dos Clérigos), built by the architect Nicola Nazoni from 1732 to 1750 by order of the brotherhood of clerics. The Clerigouche tower was built somewhat later than the church, in 1754-1763. The original design of the temple contained two towers, but they decided to limit themselves to one.
This majestic Baroque tower is decorated with sculptures of saints, as well as cornices and balustrades. The granite walls of the first floor are two meters thick, and the door is decorated with the image of St. Paul. On the third and sixth floors, there are platforms with bells. On two tiers there are rooms with museum stands.
This is the highest tower in the city with a magnificent observation deck, which can be reached by climbing 225 steps on a spiral staircase. The spiral staircase is narrow and long, and the ascent and descent will take some time. From its observation deck, you can enjoy a magnificent panorama of the city. Since 1910, the Clerigos Tower has been a National Monument and a landmark of Porto.
The church of Clerigouche, with its monumental staircase leading to the entrance, oval windows and rich pediment, is also noteworthy. The interior of the church is decorated with marble and granite, decorated with carvings.