Church of St. Catherine of Alexandria in Branievo, Show all 33 places in POLAND » POLAND33
- bł. Reginy Protmann 1, Braniewo, Poland
- 53.8479090, 20.4131340 Copy to clipboard Copy
The Basilica is one of the most beautiful churches in Warmia. Probably stands on the site of the oldest known church in Warmia. The Gothic church was implemented in stages in 1343-1442. It is a brick hall building, three-nave, with a massive prisoner and buttresses.
In 1480, lightning destroyed the tower and the church's vault. Reconstruction was completed around 1485, possibly by the builder of the Gdansk church of the Virgin Mary.
Around 1500, a side choir with a star-shaped vault was built. In the 17th century, the church received rich interior furnishings.
In 1726, work was completed on the assembly of large organs with a Baroque prospectus. Small organs were created in 1725 and were located on the side choir.
Polychromes were made in 1892-1893, and stained glass windows were made in 1894-1904.
The church was burnt in 1945. Thanks to the efforts of the Warmian bishops, the ruins of the church returned to the diocese. This allowed in 1979 to start the reconstruction and restoration of the temple. Since 1982, services have been celebrated again. In 2001, the church of Saint. Catherine in Braniewo received the title of a smaller basilica.