St Martin's Cathedral, Show all 3 places in Utrecht » Utrecht3
- Achter de Dom 1, 3512 JN Utrecht, Netherlands
- 52.0910229, 5.1227677 Copy to clipboard Copy
Saint Martin's Cathedral in Utrecht is one of the largest Gothic temples in the northern Netherlands. What's more, it is the only church in this part of Europe that took the form of French Classical Gothic. The creation of the cathedral took several centuries: construction began after the fire in 1235, and it was only completed in the 16th century.
The turbulent history of the temple dates back to the seventh century, when a wooden chapel dedicated to Saint Martin was built in this place. This historic cathedral church was taken over by the Calvinists in 1580 and thus became the center of the Protestant religion. Most of the decor was destroyed to match the appearance of the temple to the requirements of religion. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to the works of art that have been preserved: late-Gothic triptychs, a Gothic painting depicting the Crucifixion Group or the Gothic tombstone of Bishop Gwijde van Henegouwen.
A characteristic element of the cathedral is the tower known as Domtoren. 112.32 meters high, consisting of three parts, towers over the surrounding area. She also appeared in many paintings, including in the Ghent Altar. Inside the tower hangs 14 bells, including 7 historic from the beginning of the 16th century.