Ventspils Livonian Order Castle, Show all 105 places in LATVIA » LATVIA105
- Jāņa iela 17, Ventspils, LV-3601, Latvia
- Working hours*:
Tuesday - Saturdays
10:00 - 18:00
Sundays 24 hours
Mondays - closed
- * - opening and closing times as well as entrance prices, are subject to alterations without notice. Visitors are advised to check before visiting.
- 57.3961660, 21.5587390 Copy to clipboard Copy
#Castles , #Family time , #Museums
The castle was built as a convent-house type building with an inner yard, and can be regarded as the oldest medieval fortress in Latvia to have retained its original form virtually unchanged.
In its turn, the castle chapel is the oldest preserved church building in the region of Kurzeme. In the 13th–16th century the castle was used by the brothers of the Livonian Order, later there was an Evangelical Lutheran church in the castle (1706–1835), a Russian Orthodox church (1845–1901) and also a prison (1832–1959). The castle housed various administrative institutions and army units. The Soviet garrison left the castle in 1983. In 1997 the castle fa?ades were restored and the area around it improved. In the course of study and restoration work, unique 15th–17th century mural fragments were discovered under several layers of plaster, and much evidence concerning the castle and its inhabitants was obtained during archaeological excavation.
Restoration work is still underway. In early September 2001, when the first stage of restoration was complete, the permanent exhibition of Ventspils Museum opened, devoted to the history of the castle, the city, the port and the Ventspils region, and featuring Latvia’s only digital exhibition ‘Living history’. The exhibition has been arranged in the attractive castle tower, which has a ‘tele-panorama’ on the fifth floor, as well on as the first floor of the castle, where the great chimney can be seen, and where there is also a museum education centre providing the opportunity for children’s and young people’s activities. The final stage in the rebirth of the castle is closely related to the years of 2011-2012. A new, stae-of-art exhibition of the museum has now been revealed there.
The museum regularly sees temporary exhibitions on art and history, as well as concerts and other events that enrich the city’s cultural life.