Liepāja Naval Port, Show all 105 places in LATVIA » LATVIA105
- Karosta, Liepāja, LV-3414
- 56.5496370, 21.0087570 Copy to clipboard Copy
#Beaches , #Family time , #History , #Ports
The present Military Port is a special district. It is no longer an army town, but a unified touristic site, inspiring creative people.
Tourists can try:
- the life of a prisoner at the Military Port prison;
- walk through the underground labyrinths of the Northern Forts lit by torchlight;
- walk on the Northern breakwater;
- to bike along 12 km long track.
The Northern Breakwater is a functionally important hydro-technical construction for Liepaja Port.
Here you can:
- watch sunsets and the storms of the Baltic Sea;
- enjoy a walk;
- catch plaices;
- watch birds;
- view the remains of the Northern Forts.
During the Soviet period, the Military Port was a closed territory, inaccessible even to the civilians of Liepāja. Liepāja Military Port, which covers approximately one third of the total area of the city in its northern part, is a miraculous, paradoxical and unique place not only in the history and architecture of Latvia, but the whole world.
The environment here is a singular reflection of the interaction between Russian military elegance and Soviet militarism.