The construction of the Old Dome started already in the 13th century but it was destroyed in a fire in 1624. The preserved part accomodated the university library in the 19th century and now contains the Tartu University History Museum.
Images sources: ©
    View all 12 places in Tartu
  1. #EE08
  2. Dome Church's ruins Lossi 25, Tartu, Estonia
  3. +3727375674
  5. Working hours*:
    Tuesday - Sunday
    10:00 - 18:00
  6. Prices*:
    Adults - 6€
    Concession - 5€
    Family ticket - 12€
  7. * - opening and closing times as well as entrance prices, are subject to alterations without notice. Visitors are advised to check before visiting.
  8. 58.3802850, 26.7143840 Copy to clipboard Copy
    #Family time , #Museums

Ideas Rule the World – 400 Years of University History

The main museum is located in the old Cathedral on Toome Hill and also includes several 19th century university buildings. The university buildings, as an ensable, were added to the European Heritage Label list in 2016 (see video here).

The University of Tartu Art Museum has found its home in the majestic main building of the University of Tartu

The Old Observatory, which belongs to the UNESCO World Heritage list, is located in the southeastern part of Toome Hill

The Old Anatomical Theatre, which was in the hands of the Faculty of Medicine until 1999, is located on the southern edge of Toome Hill. The Old Anatomical Theatre is closed for the visitors but the building is something to admire even just from the outside.